View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 04:58 AM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
new thermostat time...

With the onset of a cold winter, I noticed that our X5 didn't seem to be running as warm as it had over the summer. It heated up as quickly as before but the temp. gauge was struggling to get over the first white mark on most trips. The OBC confirmed that the temp was running about 65 Deg. C on the open road, maybe making 70 Deg. C on a hill but dropping back to 60 Deg. C when heading down the other side. Not normal at all.

One OEM thermostat housing assembly later, it's now running around 88 Deg. C, climbing to 95 Deg. C towing a trailer up a hill (a serious test for it first long run!).

The old assembly...

Getting ready for surgery...

Everything (engine acoustics, intake ducting, EGR pipe, turbo inlet ducts, old thermostat housing etc.) removed and ready for the new assembly...

Another angle...

Note that the fan is still in place - I managed to do this replacement without pulling the fan or shroud. This is possible on a facelift 3.0d but I understand that it is not possible on the earlier models.

The turbo inlet area was showing a little oily dirt etc. but as I couldn't get at it (this photo was taken blind!) I decided to leave it alone rather than risk getting all that crap into the turbo inlet...

The turbo inlet duct has a small plastic swirl vane - I was VERY careful with this, as I've heard they can break off and be ingested...

With the new thermostat housing installed, I buttoned it all back up, refilled the coolant and bled the system...

Very pleased the have the `5 running perfectly for the coming winter.

Sponsored Links