View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Davidf is on a distinguished road
Bad luck: punctured radiator on long trip

Well, I new I was getting close to needing a new radiator at 101k miles, but circumstances forced my hand. While moving my youngest son into Texas Tech University (from Austin), my wife (driving the X5) phoned to tell me the low coolant light came on. I was in my son's 330i behind her. My immediate reaction was hmm, that's strange I checked the coolant level a month or so previous to our trip. I told her to pull over at the next small town to be sure it was not leaking and just simply low.

We were 140 miles away from Lubbock and upon inspection was horrified to see a large amount of coolant dripping off the bottom of the radiator/trans cooler. But, I could not see a ruptured hose...then I looked at the front of the radiator and saw a steady stream of coolant coming from a hole at the center of a dime size indention in the radiator. Seems my wife got hit by a projectile that made its way through the lower grille.

Luckily, my wife had two gallons of water in the car (for my son's coffee maker). I topped off the coolant, took over the driving, monitored the coolant temperature (hidden service menu) and off we went toward Lubbock. Fifteen miles later and we get the low coolant warning again. Stop, cool down a bit to be able to slowly open expansion cap, refill with one gallon of water, and off we went. Repeat every 15 miles or so until we get to TTU stopping to buy/refill water jugs every so often. We made it to Lubbock and went through about 18 gallons of water. The engine seems fine.

This was a Saturday and a radiator in Lubbock for a 4.8i was not to be found. My uncle is the general manage at Scoggin Dickey Buick/Chevrolet/etc and gave me a 2016 Enclave loaner to take back to Austin while he takes care of the X5. Should have a radiator in today or tomorrow and my wife will make the 750 mile round trip to retrieve her SAV later this week.

What an ordeal! But, we will have a new radiator the hard and expensive way. Just felt like sharing. First car ever, in my lifetime, that had something puncture the radiator while on the road.

Last edited by Davidf; 08-23-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: corrected spelling/grammar

Sponsored Links