View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 PM

edogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
+1 on pulling the display and looking behind it for the empty connector. The caveat is, the empty connector is not simply hanging free, it is wrapped up in the gauze that the wires are wrapped with. You might see the lump, but there is a wire harness that you can unroll the black fabric tape to expose the connector. There is a pigtail on the part (female aux connector) that is about 24 inches long so that you can route the wire to a location that's inside of the glove box and mount the aux port.

When the aux port is installed, the MODE button on the radio will present AUX as one of the inputs. Successive presses of the MODE button will roll around the input choices of AM, FM, CD, and AUX. The port works good, just use any aux cable to plug into your headphone jack on your phone, and the other end into the aux port that you just installed into your car.

I have an '05, with the MK4 Nav System. There are two aux ports that can be plugged in, one has a micro-mini 2-pin connector, the other has a mini. Except for the connectors being different sizes, the ports are identical. The nav display will see the new aux port as soon as it is connected.The cable is on eBay, and comes from a dealership out of San Francisco. I recall the cost to be $40-ish.

I believe that the earlier X5, like the OP's, doesn't have this input on the back of the head unit.

See this product link for figment: BMW Genuine Auxiliary Audio Input Cable for Model with Navigation, E39 5 Series (09/2002 and on), E46 3 Series (10/2002 to 2005), X5 (10/2002 and on), All X3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9WCMK..._k9PdybC00R2ET

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links