View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

tomsawyer is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, I found this post in another thread and since the guy lived relatively close to my house, I used his service. I do not know what brand screen he used because after he removes the unit, goes into his house, replaces the screen and reinstalls the unit. You don't know what brand he uses except he "tells" you it original.

My "new" screen started to pixel 7 months after this guy installed it. I let him know what happened and on the phone he indicated he was going to "warranty" it. When I got to his house, he wanted to charge me another $250 for a screen plus install. You can imagine what I told him to do with his screen.

As such, I'm in the market for a new screen if anyone can direct me.

Thanks

I found this post by "M5 Jon" in another forum... I am going to give this a shot as the price is right and after speaking with him I had a good feeling he knew what the issue was and had done this many times before. It also worked out well for "M5 Jon" and other person from the thread that used him:

So the display on my nav went black a while back. Everything works, just the display is not lit up. Not wanting to drop $600 on a new nav display head unit I found an alternate solution. Jimmy Chen in New Jersey will do repairs for a fraction of the cost. Jimmy posts repair services as auctions on eBAY for BMW and Mercedes. I called Jimmy and talked w/him about the problem with my display. He said it could be repaired for $180 and to a mail a check for the amount and the unit to him.

Finding only limited posts/comments about him, and the fact that there is no physical business I was a bit suspicious. I searched a bit more and found some positive comments/threads on the web and decided to go for it. I mailed my display to Jimmy, and about a week half later (I am in California) I got it back.

His info:
Jimmy Chen
Alpine Electronics Repair
140 Hirshfeld Pl
New Milford, NJ 07646
Phone: 201-312-2317
email: [email protected]

I will report back after I fix my system...

Sponsored Links