View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 05:25 AM

V8 00USH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw540san View Post
You are aware that "genuine" is elusive word. While there are BMW parts that are proven to be better quality than aftermarket, when it comes to thermostats it's not so clear.
I have the "genuine" BMW thermostat in my 540 and it's of course made by Behr. I don't believe in first quality BMW Genuine vs second quality aftermarket as some claim.
Sure, it does apply sometime when you compare let's say Genuine BMW vs URO but if the manufacturer is known to produce parts for the maker and it's not a illegal copy, I don't have problem buying it.
Anyway, about dozen people are running Mahle / Behr and I had no complaints. Time will tell, but another benefit IMO is of course no electrical connector which can be a separate issue with coolant leaking at and in rare cases traveling to DME wiring loom.
Oh totally aware.....however after being burnt several times with aftermarket thermostats (one in my BMW 330d a couple of years ago) unless I'm sure that it is a quality brand such as Mahle/Behr then I wouldn't entertain buying it. Completely false economy and definitely more hassle. Definitely prefer parts that you can fit and forget about rather than having to revisit them again because they have failed prematurely. Least with a genuine part you're probably 99% sure that this won't need to happen.

Please can you PM me details of your European supplier as I'd definitely be interested in one of these.

Sponsored Links