View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM

95wildtt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ulf View Post
there's a bit of a difference between running an entire engine or a comparably small auxiliary heater in both electricity and fuel consumption, in addition to the fact that aforementioned auxiliary heater also negates the need to run a cold engine at all. also, since most BMWs are designed for those options it's not *that* much more difficult to install and you can also control it from your smartphone or set times at which your heater comes on. so i'm still standing by what i said, there's nothing your remote start does that a webasto or eberspaecher doesn't do better. on top of that it's actually illegal in certain countries (like germany) to run your engine unnecessarily. and not even being inside the car while it runs constitutes such a situation. hence you don't get the option. it makes a lot of sense, really.
My last comments...

If so interested, you can also control the remote start from your cell phone and schedule times/temps for the car to run as well.
I don't have a need for that, but it can be easily added.

I seriously doubt the cost and ease of installing either of those other solutions comes close to that of the Remote Start.
Maybe adding additional fuel lines and tying into the vehicle cooling system is considered easy for some folks, but for me unplugging 3 connectors and clicking the mouse a few times seemed easier
Not to mention only about $500.

As mentioned by json above, it does get HOT (95F) as well as Cold (-15F) where I live too, and cooling the car is actually more attractive to me than heating it...
But I'll take the option for both, thanks.

Thank God I live in the USA, where I can run my car as much as I like.

Cheers, agree to disagree.

Thanks,
John

2008 4.8i X5 (2/25/08) 105k:
Titanium Silver/Black; All -HUD; Aero Kit; 22" VS-130 w/Pirellis;
///M Shifter & Fr Brakes; Gauge Rings; Console Pads; Custom Wheel & Mats; Roof Rails
Carbon Fiber: Int Trim, Nav Surround, Grill, Cluster Trim, Shifter & Eyelids
1.2" H&R; LUX AEs; LCI Tails; Rear Fogs; NBT EVO; ESS Tune; Meisterchaft GTC Exhaust

Last edited by 95wildtt; 01-04-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Sponsored Links