View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Premier Member

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
I don't know of an engine with stock exhaust that performance can't be improved by eliminating some amount of back pressure. But, it isn't as simple as just chopping a muffler or resonator off. Depending on how much and where back pressure is reduced it will improve or reduce HP and/or TQ. Torque gets you going and horsepower keeps you going. How best the engine will respond is where to focus. In the case of the 4.6, I recommend the focus should be on torque until you can do a 4 wheel burnout or you start breaking driveline stuff. That will take a lot more than any exhaust change.

Don't expect a worthwhile performance improvement from an investment in a H or X pipe. The investment should be to change sound only. However, if there will be better performance it will be greater with an X pipe as it improves extraction the most. An X pipe will make the exhaust tone higher and a little raspier.

I agree that if you can find Dinan exhaust that is the best way to go. IMO it sounds great and they have stated gains that you can expect. If you want more performance improvement from any changes or still be noiser, I recommend adding electric cutouts that you can control how much they open. They should be located post cat and as close to the same distance from the exhaust manifold as possible. Since they are under the vehicle there will be drone. I have Dinan exhaust with cutouts. Fun thing is I can have cutouts wide open and when I see a lawman I can easily close them before I get into trouble. I either have them wide open or closed as unless I want the maximum performance I am entirely happy with how the Dinan exhaust sounds. An airbox contributes to a better sound but mostly at full throttle.

Sponsored Links