View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 AM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
^That was me and because I bought the Harbor Freight wheel bearing kit -

The slide hammer kit posted looks exactly like what I used, the shallow monkey paw looking flange fits on the front hubs and also works well to push the axle out of the hub - I did both of mine wpoll, even though only one was bad.

The wheel bearing kit posted on the last page also looks excellent if you are doing the job in situ, like myself and Dave did.
Well, I finally tracked down the bad bearing; turned out to be the right rear.

I did buy the two tools I indicated in my earlier post, despite knowing that the bearing press set won't work for removing and installing the front bearing - the receiver cups are all too small. The set (Platinum or Heshi brand) works well on the rear and should also work for for driving in the hub on the front. Very well in fact; this was the easiest part of the whole task!

I used the slide hammer base to drive out the axle (slow and steady) and then whacked out the hub and inner of the bearing - took less than 20 whacks to totally remove the assembly.

I had to drop the exhaust system in order to pull the rear axle (half-shaft) and doing this gave me enough room to replace the bearing without undoing any suspension parts, so no wheel alignment!

All in all, I'm glad to have it done and have a quiet rolling chassis again.

Sponsored Links