View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Longj582 is on a distinguished road
The death of an e53...what's next (2010 or 2013 x5)

Our 180K 2003 e53 was totaled in downtown Vancouver Canada over the weekend by a driver blasting through an intersection at 40 mph - we got t-boned and it saved our life. Airbags popped and we walked a little sore vs getting hauled away by the coroner. After that experience I don't think I'll ever own anything other than a BMW...it took it like a champ! For the force of the accident...it doesn't even look that bad

Trying to find a replacement by this weekend. I've narrowed it down to the three choices below:

1. A west-coast car 2010 xDrive3.0 M Sport (w/111K) with cold weather, sport package, etc. but doesn't have air ride.

2. A 2013 Xdrive3.5i M sport (Cold weather package, sport package, Mileage at 57K in the bay area).

3. A 2013 xDrive3.5i w/cold weather, sport's package 65K.

I've searched the forums (including this one but can't find anything super relevant to my situation) so I'm asking here...any opinions on the 2010 vs 2013? I know the iDrive is better in the 2013 and it's not naturally aspirated...but it's also $10K more.

I'm sure both would be a big step up from my e53 but I'm mainly interested in longevity here and cost of ownership. I know all three can pull a boat and handle their own in the Washington State winters we have here. Aesthetically all of them look great to me but I've heard/read mixed things about the cost of ownership and problems associated w/the 2013 twin-scroll turbos.

Note: I drive my vehicles into the ground so my intent is this vehicle will be driven until it's hauled off to the scrapyard because it no-longer runs and I really prefer the inline 6 (don't need anymore tickets : ). I do most of the wrenching myself or with one of my best friends who has a shop. I had planned on getting to 250K on my e53.

Sorry for the long post but I've always relied on this forum for my e53 experience and troubleshooting - I wanted to turn to you guys once more. I'd love y'alls opinion.

Sponsored Links