View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 AM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
What did you do to / for your E53 today??

Finally got my alternator that I refurbished back in. Very tight fit to get that sucker squeezed in: couldn't get it the last 1/3 of an inch until I figured out to poke the likes of a nail set into the bolt hole to pull it in the last bit.

I also had to replace air boot : it was torn through in the flex part. Unfortunately it was originally installed from under the car so I had to razor knife the thing in half to remove. Only to discover the cheap copy I bought wouldn't bend so I sent back the crappy one, super glued the cut one to get me working until the OEM replacement came.

That's when my alternator dies and my wife's camshaft sensor died. So I got to put in the new boot the new camshaft sensor and the refurbished alternator.

I couldn't get the boot off without taking off the disa valve fortunately that is second to the oil cap the easiest thing to remove on the M54 engine!

So: cps sensor in, DISA OFF, boot off, alternator in, boot back on, disa back on, air intake in, fan and shroud back on.

Started right up. I did have a charger on the battery while working to make that go smoothly.

The symptom showing alternator failing was that dsc/brake/abs lights. Poking around with dash command showed voltage dipped below 12v at idle (when it felt like it).

So once running even though it was two full months in hibernation, my BMWЯ didn't forget that the dsc trifecta was lit. I was really hoping it would reset itself and sure enough I didn't even get to the end of my alley and dashboard cleared!

Now I have to purge my brakes. Apparently when the level got low a bit of air got in. It's way overdue for flush anyhow so I bought the pressure bottle to bleed and learned a couple tricks for workaround with abs. I will post results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links