View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM

David D is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
I can hear the cold start sound. Does sound like timing chains/guides but sounds can be misleading. The other videos can't tell.

The auxiliary air pump can sound like that but that goes away after a minute or two on 'cold' starts. One thing you can do is see if you can pinpoint the sound with an auto stethoscope, a long extension or anything that you can put to your ear and the other end around the engine. Places to to check are on the upper timing chain cover of course, water pump housing, anywhere a shaft is turning. Also front to back on each side of the engine if it is a ticking noise when engine is warm. Sometimes getting underneath can help but you will have to remove the plastic splash shield. Start on top and see what you find.

This is one of several videos about timing guide failure. Depending on the degree of failure the sound will vary. As posted in the comments, you can pull the lower oil pan to check for timing guide material or metal filings. I do that ever other time I change the oil even though there is no engine noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6GG9agUUdQ
Thanks for posting that video. Mine is nowhere near that bad sounding. I know it's hard to hear it on the videos I posted, but mine sounds more like a ticking/tapping than a rattle. More like valve tappet noise. It is most noticeable when it's cold outside and the engine is dead cold. It gets quieter as the engine warms up, but is still there at operating temperature. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

2005 4.4i Sport
1986 Porsche 911

Sponsored Links