View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 PM

daytonatrbo is on a distinguished road
Some notes from my own thermostat/water pump adventure:

Based on the description in post 180 in this thread:
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-diy-pics.html

I removed this hose connection after triple checking that it actually would contain engine coolant. This drain things fairly nicely and was relatively easy to catch the drain off:

I thought it prudent to protect the back of the radiator core with some cardboard, since I'd be working in the vicinity all day.

I discovered that the rubber portion of my charge pipe is saturated with oil, and the reinforcement rings have migrated. I've put them back where they belong, but obviously this piece needs to go on my short list. It seems that the excess oil in the intake is causing the rubber to break down.

This car seems to have the ORIGINAL Egr cooler from 2009.

I let the engine idle and bled the coolant out until I stopped seeing air coming back. The engine got up to about 55°C while idling.

And success!!!

PS: I did not get to replacing the glow module today. I got a late start and decided I just wouldn't have time.

I also discovered a notable amount of soot around the low pressure EGR housing. And some at the turbo wastegate shaft nearby. I need to figure out where that's leaking.

PPS: if you buy the OEM thermostat, it comes with the gasket preinstalled. You don't have to buy one in addition like I did.

I also, somehow ordered only one O-ring for the various connectors that have to come apart, and in my infinite stupidity, ordered the only one hat comes with the thermostat.

2009 xDrive35D
Comfort seats, Tech, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport w/ Adaptive Drive, Extended Nappa Leather
Deleted & Stg 2+ Tune for over 115k miles
227k on the clock
Being replaced by a 2016 X5d

Last edited by daytonatrbo; 03-18-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsored Links