View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 PM

williamx5 is on a distinguished road
Good day all!!

Well, I got the front half of the drive shaft I need to experiment with... So the thought process was to swap the front half of the E39 540i parts car with the back half of the E53, and have it modified to the correct length... Well, as my luck would have it, the bearing and the splines are NOT the same...

I initially had a lot of pictures in here that, in the end didn't have any bearing on the finished product... So, in the essence of time, I omitted these pictures during the reposting of pictures for the entire journey.

I initially had attempted to get a shaft that was the correct length and just bolt it in... I should have considered the difference in vehicles we’re dealing with... One is mostly performance and the other is mainly a super fun AWD minivan... Okay, maybe not that bad... I just can’t get the two to have a common crossover area with the drive shaft... We have to splice to get it to work... BUT!! At least BMW used the same tubing for both drive shafts...

I’m open to ideas!! So, instead of having the driveline shop use their tubing to lengthen the shaft, I’ll just have them cut and weld all OEM BMW tubing...

Cheers for now... I’m still getting the other stuff measured and together... I think I will have to weld the aluminum shifter arms together... Maybe I’ll just have a bunch welded up and avail for those that need them... Or, I guess you could always have a welding shop do it... My apologies everyone... I can’t figure a reasonable solid way to keep it from failing... I’ll get pictures of that asap...

Cheers for now everyone...
2008 Mini Cooper S ragtop (04-17-2008 build date) Dark Silver exterior / Gray interior ( Topless)
BMWCCA member (#4745)

Last edited by williamx5; 08-05-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Sponsored Links