View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM

phathom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
I was under the impression that variable valve compressors were clutchless. Since the valve varies the displacement of the compressor, there is no need for a clutch. The compressor is always turning, but if ac cooling is not required, the valve varies the displacement to almost zero, so there isn't any drag on the engine. When ac is required, the valve increases the displacement of the compressor so that refrigerant is pumped from the low side to the high side thus providing the cooling effect requested.
This would explain the AC pulley always spinning in its entirety for me then. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but me and OP are having the same issue.
If it's a variable​ valve that always spins, does that mean there would be no shim to ad or remove to adjust the air gap as that's a clutch related part?
I'm probably going to tear into mine today if there's a possibility of me being able to fix it like that, otherwise I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get a new compressor. I know my aux fan and hvac panel are fine and not the problem.
Is therr anyway to clean out the valves in the compressor, like if they're getting stuck and that's why they intermittently work?

Sponsored Links