View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM

ChiefRider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Mine are making a racket too at 160k. My local (highly respected) indy shop just quoted me the following:

$467.50 labor (5.5hrs @ $85/hr)
$414 bearings (Timken @ $207 ea... really?)
$358 hubs ($179 ea)

I'm ok with the labor, but the parts quote is way high. They're ok with using parts that I supply so long as they're SKF, FAG or Timken. They will warrant the labor, but not parts that I supply; which is fair. They didn't want to bother trying to get the old race off the hubs when they pop them off. I told them for $358 they need to try for half an hour labor or so. They got the hint.

I'd normally tackle this myself, but I really can't spare the time with kids headed to college. I figure the hydraulic puller and plates and hardened threaded rod is about $200, so I'm looking at a net of about $270, which I'm ok with.
Yikes.

I bought the bearings online, $130 for the pair of Timken branded bearings, which turned out to be FAG. My shop frequently asks me to get the parts- They know I strive for better quality than what they typically have available.

My indie is quite good. While he quoted me $300 labor (one side) he will charge less if it takes less time. The job won't be a problem for him at his shop. For me, it would be a PITA.

2004 3.0 6 speed manual

Sponsored Links