View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 AM

MikDundee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Thanks for uploading a pic...interestingly...that doesn't appear to be a normal BMW part number. BMW part nbrs have 11 digits (XX XX X XXX XXX) and are all numerical...or sometimes only the last 7 digits are given (on smaller items) and appear like this (X XXX XXX)

I wonder if rear view cameras were something the Aussie BMW dealerships added for their market as either an accessory or something required by local regulations. Similar to mud flaps being a requirement there...but an accessory ordered from the parts department here.
Agreed that it doesn't look like a standard BMW part number. But, reverse cameras weren't (And still aren't) a legal requirement here is Oz.

But, one interesting thing that I did notice is that the rear door "handle" cut-out for the camera doesn't exactly look like a factory cut-out. Up inside where it can't be seen (Even with the handle removed from the car - Camera has to be removed to see it) it looks like it's almost been hacked out to accommodate the camera. I will try and get photos if I pull it off again.

A while back I got adventurous and pulled the inner panel off the hatch lid, and from memory, the wiring appeared to be "normal" - Part of the loom. There is a plug just inside which the camera plugs in to.

So maybe it is something that the dealers fitted over here. If I remember, I'll see if I can remember to ask the parts guys when I'm in chasing up parts again.

And lastly, there is a "stray" relay which is buried down next to the spare tire. O haven't chased out the wires yet, however one cable does go up the side pillar at the back. So I am wondering if the relay is hooked in to the reverse lights - To power the camera. Again, that's just some more research that I need to do. I'd like to get the camera issue sorted out anyway, although I'm more inclined to think it's something else - Perhaps the video module. (Maps look bad, as does the menu on the screen). I'll report back once I do some more digging and see it we can't sort out the mystery of the reverse cameras. [emoji106]

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links