View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuang1103 View Post
... did you disconnect the negative on your battery before you removed the side air bag modules? Everyplace I read, it says to do such. I saw a video where a master BMW mechanic removed the side airbag just without the key in the ignition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_xpjGpyFc...
I usually (yes, sadly, opening up the doors on the x5 is a fairly regular thing for me, even though everything I fix stays fixed and I do what I can to fix things before they break) disconnect the battery first to reduce the chances of the airbag going off when I remove it. But then I usually find it convenient to restore power so I can adjust the window during the rest of the repair.

Re-connecting the battery with the airbag module removed will set the airbag light on your instrument panel.

But since I had that light on when I bought the car, one of my first purchases was a reset tool. If you don't have such a tool, you would probably want to avoid having the airbag module removed when the battery is connected.

Regarding cutting cables, no I would not do that. I also would not take it to the fire dept so they can practice with the jaws of life. But that's just me. I usually prefer to fix things with minimal destruction.

Sponsored Links