View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 PM

semcoinc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
Bingo.

The water pump was not original, as I noted when I did the guides on this X5 a while back. It's from 2011. Based on the Carfax, the car had around 104,000 miles in 2011, so this water pump has essentially lived through a whole lifespan since it failed at 217,000 miles. I probably should have thought about that when doing the chain guide job, but the water pump seemed perfectly fine to me so I put it back on. Every other car I've done guides on I've reused the water pump if it looks fine (also, people don't want to pay for new water pumps when they have me do their guides).

For what it's worth, I've never had a water pump fail in my ownership of any BMW, or any car for that matter. Dunno if I'm really lucky or if I don't keep cars long enough, haha.
To some degree understandable from a "flip" perspective. It was working great all the way up to the point it wasn't

My philosophy of buy and hold for long term use and high reliability has been and continues to be if I'm working on something in one of my vehicles and touching stuff that has already delivered more or less in the 100K miles range, I'm replacing it. Touch it once and receive longer reliability of that section of the vehicle.

Glad that the new owner didn't experience a fatal overheat and got it to the side of the road in time

Mike

Mike
Dallas, TX & Appleton, WI
2003 E53 4.4i Pearl Beige
2003 E46 330Xi Monaco Blue
2007 E90 335Xi Black Sapphire Metallic
2011 F25 X3 28i Black Sapphire Metallic

Sponsored Links