View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM

e70dc is on a distinguished road
I spoke with JR, Mission and Malone. Probably the biggest reason I went with Malone was that the tuning could be done at the shop rather than sending out my ECU. That combined with a shop that was reasonably close to my house, and excellent communication before I pulled the trigger.

I actually spoke with 2 Malone shops (DE and WV). I ended up going to WV because they also tune E36 race cars and I know some of their clients. But the shop in DE was very competent as well.

No dyno (a complaint I have about all of these off-the-shelf tunes) but I wasn't really looking for performance, just reliability and hopefully better mpg. Malone's recommended shop had prior experience tuning diesels (including X5s), both the shop (PD Autowerks) and Malone were quick to respond to all of my questions by email, and Malone explained to me that his Stage 1 and 2 tunes are designed to feel like OEM rather than race track, so I didn't have to worry about tuning the transmission.

I was quoted $3k and a two day turn-around. That included hardware (and CAT), removing the back half of the EGR, the larger DEF tank and the mid pipe and SCR. I also had them change the oil, cabin filters, fuel filter and rear brakes and rotors so my total was higher.

I don't want to downplay the performance, it's really impressive. It pulls hard almost to redline and when it shifts it feels just as strong. But I really just want the car to last me another 3-5 years. The kick in the pants is just icing on the cake.

Best of luck and Happy New Year.

Sponsored Links