View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 AM

Lamby is on a distinguished road
So there are some pretty clever guys on this subject, I can not get the wheel off and stripped down, hub off in 30 mins! Take's me about 1hr 30 mins. So for a time issue, I need to replace my CV boot, and let me tell you, my X5 e53 LOVES to eat through these outer CV boots. So.... time for a change of tactics. And yes... perhaps I was installing the original boots incorrectly but I did follow the instruction to the letter.

so.... I am trying Sticky Boots for the first time, some say they are rubbish others say, if you fit them correctly and keep everything clean and glue them properly, they will LAST as long as originals. Time to find out huh??

If anyone is interested, these are my plans for the job, will add some photos later but the videos are really very clear. BTW I have no affiliation with Bailcast, they are simply the brand of CV Boot I bought and I have used their products before. Make in England and heavy duty so no Chinese rubbish here. (Apologies to the Peoples Republic of China, but you have a reputation for cheap rubber).

(Sorry names like Wilko/Screwfix are hardware stores in Uk, think harbor freight/Sears or whatever local hardware/auto stores are in your state)

BailCast Sticky Boot

How to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvm64xuSMMA&t=623s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAWIQ05DS0

Check the boot kit

REALLY sharp knife
Snips - Wilko
Wirebrushes
Kitchen Roll - Wilko/saynos
Cling film (Celo Food Wrap)
Black Spray - 4702r
Gloves - 53009

1. Jack Car
2. Wheel off
3. Clean up this drive shaft with wire brush
4. Remove the old boot, start with large screw driver and leaver out.
5. Clean up inner hub with wire brush
6. Rotate wheel as you work
7. Inner metal band is held on with a clip, open with screw driver (small)
8. Slide back boot
9. CUT boot length ways - Remove and measure against new boot, then cut to size.
10. MOVE inner metal band.
11. Snip Metal band
12. Clean up
13. Clingfilm area
14. Clean up with wire brush
15. Remove Clingfilm
16. Clean up
17. New gloves
18. Clingfilm the shaft so the boot stays clean whilst using glue
19. Take time to glue boot at 2cm a(1/2 “) at a time.
20. Add new grease and rotate wheel.
21. Install clip rings both outer and inner
22. Tension clips and nip them tight
23. If you are like me, you want to stop any corrosion, spray a bit of anti corrosion pain on the shaft just to neaten it up.

Done! If like me, you are doing this in Feb in England on your driveway, you need to get the kettle on, and get a drop of whiskey in it to warm yourself up.

What I had updated
Carbon Effect Steering Wheel
Panoramic Sunroof Fix
PVC Replacement
All glowplugs and glowplug regulator
New discs and pads all round
All new front suspension links, bushes and rods

Sponsored Links