View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Premier Member

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Certainly if plugs get soaked and you don't wait long enough for them to dry any new attempt to start the engine will re-soak the plugs. It is also true that removing the plugs is one way to correct the problem without the wait. That is, unless something else is causing the flooding, not cold weather and/or slow cranking.

My point remains the same, overnight the plugs should dry out and the flooding condition gone. That doesn't mean the engine will start if something else is causing the flooding. There is nothing in that thread indicating how long between the last start attempt and when the mechanic pulled the plugs. My bet is the first thing the mechanic did was try to start it, before he went through a systematic troubleshooting list.

Based on the prior missing condition, something was failing, likely causing the flooding. My suggestion for that thread would have been to start with the simple troubleshooting stuff, air restriction, fuel pressure and spark. If I didn't find anything I would pull a plug to read if air/fuel mixture is reasonable. If not, I would check another plug. If also wet, to save I might pull all plugs, clean them and put them back in an hour or so. When it is back together I would not assume all is well. For first start attempt I would spray starting fluid. Depending on how they looked it would indicate the next step.

My point with washed down cylinders had nothing to do with starting or not. It was that when the rings aren't sealing more air can enter or exit all cylinders. Even when that is not the case a cylinder is not air tight and will allow evaporation.

I think sticking to the simple troubleshooting steps here is always the best approach since members have varying experience, tools and testing equipment. Unfortunately, many members don't have a code reader which is always my first troubleshooting step.

Sponsored Links