View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Nick_X5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
From my fading recollection, some European cars don't have an external Amp depending on stereo option. European have a stereo option that is less than our US 10-speakers base system. More likely, an aftermarket Amp (for an aftermarket subwoofer) was removed from those pictures.
Totally agree - This is true of my UK 2005 e53 which never had an amp, had navigation. Before I installed new head unit/amp/sub/door speakers/speaker wiring/crosssovers etc it had 6 speakers: 1 in each door and 2 on the dash. No tweeters in A pillars. If yours is the same the radio module will be next to the battery as shown in the photo above. Yet there should also be a loom containing the speaker wire harness and connectors on the right of the battery - which is not present in the photo.

The thick black cable in your photo which looks like it contains 8 wires and runs parallel with what looks like the subwoofer cable may have been spliced into the original speaker harness (which has 8 wires : front right +/- front left +/- rear right +/- rear left +/- ) to run the door speakers from an aftermarket amp. This could have been chopped if the amp was removed hence no sound from door speakers... unless it's a chopped trailer module/ tow bar cable ? Where does that black cable run to?

Last edited by Nick_X5; 02-28-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Sponsored Links