View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 05:53 PM

FourPointEight-is is on a distinguished road
I don’t have any vacuum leaks from what I can see. My vacuum pump is dripping some oil but this is a 15 year old car so not exactly out of the ordinary. I think the sludge inside of the pipe and the orange mist and debris inside the booster body indicates the seals on the oil pump went bad causing oil to go through, contaminating the lines and the booster with oil. The oil will cause the seals to swell and fail.

My initial symptom was the brakes felt terrible but still stopped the car. I didn’t read too much into it because they still worked fairly well. Then eventually the pedal started getting hard to press. Usually hard pedal equals vacuum or Booster problems.

Some X5s have actually been recalled but many (who apparently used the same parts) haven’t.

BMW, in notifying the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said only vehicles equipped with V8 engines are affected. BMW, in its NHTSA filing, said the "brake vacuum pump may leak a small amount of lubricating oil into the vacuum hose (which) could result in contamination of the brake booster."Feb 15, 2013

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...oreUserAgent=1

Quite an expensive repair. The booster itself is around 250-300 (TRW). If you want to replace the master cylinder (you might as well when you’ve got everything apart) is another 150. The vacuum line itself will be another $50-100 or so. Plus 3 hours of your time to replace it, then god knows how long to bleed the system properly (it requires at least a pressure bleeder AND INPA for bleeding the ABS pump)

Sponsored Links