View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Crowz will become famous soon enough
I went from the e53 to 2013 E70 with the turbo six and its a mixed experience.

Mine was a forced move and I wasn't shopping for one for myself. I was perfectly happy with the e53. But the airbag recall and the electric water pump with the possibility of instant, random and warning less failure scared the wife. So she got my E53 and I got stuck with the E70.

Its growing on me though. I bought a new water pump to proactively change to be on the safe side. Buying new tires for it next week too.

The strange joystick shifter takes some getting used to. Its fun to play with but its also kind of pointless. I mean I can pull up and instantly be in park and out to check the mail in the E53 in 2 seconds. The E70 requires stopping, pushing the "p" button, waiting 3 seconds or more for it to get around to going to park and then I can check the mail. Its a useless hassle. Also Im worried its going to break off if Im not careful with it. Doesn't install confidence. But again its cool looking.

The blinker stalk took some getting used to. It doesn't "click" when you turn on the blinkers. It doesn't seem to be mechanical at all actually. Its more like a momentary switch that tells the car to turn on the blinkers. Just feels like its broke all the time when your used to that solid feedback of turning on the blinkers. Its the same feeling that normal blinker stalks given when they fail.

The highbeam switch has the same issue to me too. Feels broke or that it isn't working when you go from high to lowbeam.

Again I am getting used to it being the new norm so its not a big deal now but it drove me nuts to start with.

The cruise control is on the other side of the coin. While I really hated the stalk in place of steering wheel buttons for the cruise everything else about it is awesome. The led effect the light does going around the outside of the speedometer to where you set the cruise is just to cool. The led being green when the cruise is on and amber when its off and still showing where its set speed wise is perfect. The center showing digitally what you set the cruise to when you engage it and then disappearing is perfect.

Idrive I resisted but its grown on me. I did the ssd drive upgrade to it and it works. The stereo is awesome if your into rap music. The dual subwoofers hit HARD. But it lacks stereo separation and clarity that the E53 has. The Seicane sounds a bunch better everywhere except on the super low bass. Bass wise the E70 wins hands down.

Ride quality wise the E53 drive better. Performance wise the 8 speed automatic in the E70 wins hands down. Awesome transmission. Its weird seeing the rpms at 1100 rpm most of the time. Even at 55 mph its between 1100 and 1300 rpm.

Power wise the 3.0 non turbo in the E53 seems much more powerful and faster in town. Its not of course but the E53's pedal is FAR more sensitive than the E70's turbo charged setup. When you get on the E70 though you find out fast it will smoke the E53. But to be honest for most drivers that stay in towns you will think the E53 is faster.

I'll compare more if anyone is interested just felt Im getting a little long winded
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2011 535xi auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install

Sponsored Links