View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM

X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdc101 View Post
So you have done this before? Tell us more about how you found the transmission to sound like a tractor.

Bump to learn more. If/when my clutch goes, it'll be hard to stomach an extra $400 for a new dual mass flywheel for my $4,000 car.
There are quite a few articles on those that have switched the DMF for a solid lighter flywheel and in 95% of those cases gear rattle noise becomes an instant dissatisfier. The DMF absorbs these harmonics so when the switch to a solid flywheel occurs there is not a way to absorb the gear rattle at idle. Your vehicle will sound like a tractor as you sit at a light waiting to take off. If you do not mind the noise then going to a solid flywheel is not a problem for the operator. On race vehicle noise is not an issue with the driver and the benefits of a solid flywheel will outweigh the presence of the noise; however, if you have a daily driver then the noise will become bothersome on the vehicle. Many have tired the solid flywheel approach only to go back and replace with a DMF due to the noise. 4 years ago i installed a solid flywheel on the clutch change of my 540i M -Sport and the gear rattle was not a sound that I was willing to live with. People who would pull up beside me at a light would just look at my car and immediately would think there was something wrong with my vehicle. I have never gone back to such a setup like this since then. Just do some research of trans gear rattle with solid flywheels on BMWs.

Sponsored Links