View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Miyanc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Toyota Sequoia would be my choice, you can get it with a V8. The only thing to look out for is to make sure the lower ball joints have been replaced with Toyota ball joints. Not some cheap fleabay crap or Amazon crap.
Like I said, and I know its not a great sample size, my brother bought a 2006 sequoia. He has spent over 5k on the ac. replacing just about every part possible. during this time he drove it without ac for over a year. I know he has spent more on other stuff, I have only specific stuff on the ac. I have another friend who had an axle fall off. Not sure the year and specific thing that broke, just that he was driving down the road and then he was sliding.

Even before I posted, I knew the purchase of these cars would be potentially an issue. Any idiot should be able to figure that the moment you go to buy a used one. First question should be, Why is this only $5k. 12 years ago it sold for $75k.

I would think none of you, even the most enthusiastic, bought an x5 to fix all the things that brake. Enhance or update maybe, not throw money at it. All of us are aware that these vehicles require time and money in the costliest of ways. Knowledge is key. I bet we could look at each vehicle talked about in this forum. Those purchased with perect maintainance, perfect condition, nothing wrong and had some huge issue or many issues. I also bet some will read purchased with no records and in fair to poor shape and ran like a top. My search is for the insight to stay in the middle. I wont be getting the $16k 4.8 with all the options, low mileage and a parts/maintenance list 10 pages long OR the POS without history.
What I want is a v8, hopefully with enough recent maintenance history to prove some of the know issues have been handled. I want enough knowledge to be able to ask and look for those issues. Maybe use them to bargain. Then like all of you, I will enjoy it for as long as I can until i choose otherwise or the cost of ownership exceeds my abilities. Doing the work and figuring the issues, for the most part, wont matter. I enjoy fixing stuff and tweeking. It will not be a daily driver. I don't currently have a car and do just fine. I have a take home vehicle and my wifes car.

Sponsored Links