View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 03:06 AM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsoslow View Post
What prompted you to check the manifold for cracks? Was there any noises or loss of power etc? And I might have to hit you up to borrow your subframe tool when the time comes to do mine
Nothing in the car's performance led me to check - it's running well. A little noisier than when I got 3 it years ago perhaps but hard to tell, as the cracks open up very slowly over time.

I did notice a little "soot" on the turbo outlet pipe but it turned out to be more dirt (stuck to oil) than soot when I cleaned it off. That got me to thinking it was time to grab the GiraffeCam and check it out. Glad I did, as I've caught it before any real symptoms have appeared.

At 59 quid, the X8R manifold (kit) is a no-brainer. Works out to be around NZ$200 inc. shipping. Another NZ$40 for the turbo outlet pipe gasket (which needs replacing anyway).

Here's the subframe bush tool I got (from TradeMe) - https://www.kommentools.com/products...g-tool-set-e53. This tool has already sorted one E53 in Chch, so I think it is destined to be a well-used bit of kit around the country!

Sponsored Links