View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 PM

jpilk99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhouse4 View Post
I looked for a factory one but they were all stupid expensive new OR too beat up used. And then after much research I couldn't justify the cost of a factory setup over an aftermarket Class 3 (Curt, Reese, etc).

I opted for a sort of hybrid approach. Aftermarket Curt hitch but purchased a used BMW towing module off eBay. Couldn't find a cheap factory wiring harness/cable/plug but wanted to use the X5s wiring after seeing several posts about horror stories (instead of the generic wiring direction that Curt recommended). So I just tapped into the existing harness with my own wires to extended the wiring down to the bumper for a nice hardwired Hopkins aftermarket plug.

Turned out fantastic and as good if not better then factory IMO - for MUCH less.

Installation was not difficult (if you don't have a 4.8is I bet it would be just a matter of bolting it on). You can see more details and pics here: https://xoutpost.com/1134426-post9199.html
Thanks!! What does the BMW towing module do? Also, I'm on a few threads trying to figure out some balky brake lights - curious how you tapped in? I've read how their is a ..."low voltage circuit" or some funky term for lighting up a dual filament bulb in a single light application. Don't want to muck up my brake circuit any more than I have to.

Thank you,

Jay

Sponsored Links