View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 AM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
possible fuel pump?

That's exactly backwards thinking. You need to draw your gas down to single digits at least a couple times a year to make sure siphon jet is working.

By masking whether or not it is working you just make the situation worse. The jet will leak more and more and the pump gets weaker until the failure point gets to a higher and higher distance to empty and you will fuel starve the engine with up to 1/3 of a tank of gas

If your car is older than about 200,000km or 120,000 miles you should open up the left side of the fuel pump and address the siphon jet o-ring defect before it fails and leaves you stranded at MORE than 1/4 of a tank. (it can happen up to about 27L of fuel)

My wife subscribed to the myth that you should always keep 1/4 tank of gas because her siphon jet o-ring had failed when I was out of town and she had my dad bring her a can of gas. She never told me the gauge wasn't at zero when that happened so keeping the tank above a quarter just masked the problem until it gets worse and leaves me stranded at 6°F on the freeway.

Last edited by andrewwynn; 09-13-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Sponsored Links