View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Premier Member

X5only is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious4.8is View Post
I have smoke after a brief idle coming from my 2006 4.8is. I inspected the hose going directly into the top of the intake manifold and there is a decent amount of oil in there. I have already ordered replacement diaphragms for the CCV's. Current ones were torn nearly all the way around. I'll report back the results after the new ones are installed and everything is cleaned and put back together.

As a mechanic, I must say your theory that the culprit of the smoke is not the valve stem seals and the true cause is being masked in the replacement of all the seals during the process of replacing the valve stem seals is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. The symptoms everyone is experiencing is not typical of worn valve stem seals. However, we are dealing with a BMW and anything is possible I guess. My plan is to attack everything else except the valve stem seals. There are several oil leaks on my engine so I'll seal those up first and see what happens. I'll post my results but I think you may be on to something here.
Been there and done all that. Intake had oil, pipes had oil, replaced all seals imaginable - twice. Still smoking on extended idle 10-15 minutes when engine is hot. Now doing the valve stem seals and as I remove them, their condition leaves no doubt whose fault it is. I'll post pics later tonight. I see no point of not doing the valve stem seals when you're tackling every other seal - the VSS are just a step away! If the smoking is fixed, well and good. If not, you will have to do it all over again, like I'm doing now

Last edited by X5only; 10-31-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsored Links