Thread: Best Scanner?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:03 PM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Nt 510 will register a battery. It will also read the battery histogram which can help you determine how long a problem has been going on and determine if something just broke or tree battery just slowly is dying.

It's a great tool to help determine for example: is the starter pulling too much current eg: of battery charges fine to 80% but car starts hard, it's most likely the starter not the battery.

I looked into the 644 and others but I found a website that showed a whole bunch of things that were done with the 510. If there is a better bang for buck scanner I'm not aware. I've added gm and will add Toyota soon.

It can be quite difficult to find the module containing what you need: example my wife's aux water pump isn't working but I can't find where to activate it. On my car I can find the activate option and the rpm of the motor. She has the 2000.7 model X5 which still had the 20 pin engine connector under the hood and I think the aux pump runs when it is called on. My 2001.5 seems to always run the aux coolant pump.

Her pump never is running I haven't figured out if the pump or the control/fuse etc is to blame. I finally found the damn thing so I can try to direct drive it and determine if the pump works. On my car I was able to find the active test function and just turn on the pump to confirm it works. Nojoy on mine.

So here also a thing: I had my inspection light come on and wanted to reset it before it's on too long and won't reset (this happened to me with oil light: don't go much past red oil light you can't reset it even the dealer had problems).

Anyhow when I used nt510 to reset inspection light it wouldn't work until I also reset oil service. (During reset function it asks to confirm reset then a second screen comes up: wish to [also] reset oil. If you choose no it did neither.

On my wife's oddball under hood connector the oil service reset didn't work I had to use a jumper in the connector.

On mine I didn't use the oil only reset function yet but with the post 2001 you can reset from the dashboard as long as you didn't go too far past the red light.

Sponsored Links