View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Premier Member

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Stiffening or skid plate are slang descriptive names we use but reinforcement plate is the accurate name...

... As a potential safety issue I think it important to consider both sides and make an informed decision, that's the reason I post the other point of view each time this comes up.
Since we are moving this debate from the thread its based in... even though I know you like for a thread to stay exactly on topic... your position would have much more weight if you could show a single case where reusing the bolts resulted in a safety issue/concern.

The community has shown tens of instances of no issues, and many more if you take their word that dealers/indies/etc reuse the bolts. I have personally seen them reused at an indy I worked at at least a few dozen times. Mine have been on and off now a half dozen times. And will be off again in the near future.

BMW recommends refreshing most, if not all fasteners on the suspension when working on them... does everyone do that too? Of course not, and those bolts are not $10 each.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Sponsored Links