View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 10:22 AM

Thecastle is on a distinguished road
So if you wired your 7 pin connector properly and used the BMW wiring harness then the brake controller is plug and play.

a 7 pin connector provides 12V - 15 amp service to power the trailer lights, brakes, brake controller, and battery charging (if applicable). My tongue mounted controller plugs into the car, then the trailer plugs into the controller. The controller is pulling its power from the car.

The test is to hold down the button on the portable break controller and see if it applies the breaks while moving the trailer. if it does not, something is wrong of course.

I used a prodigy and have been for years with great success. The only issue I've ever had was I blew the fuse once on the 15amp 7 pin power supply. It happened when the alternator on the X5 failed, and the car after the battery ran down attempted to pull more than 15amps from the trailer batteries (to keep it running), which blew the fuse. Once it was diagnosed (I used a voltage meter to test the power output of the 7 pin connector) and replaced everything has been good. I do recommend keeping spare fuses around when towing.

Sponsored Links