View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Purplefade is on a distinguished road
bcredliner, StephenVA - thanks guys, appreciate the info.

As noted, I did not buy them for any performance gain or any wanted mileage increase, I routinely exceed 21mpg in mine to this day, I know the Parts Manager at my local BMW dealer and as it happened he had a set of BMW Performance Coils (red tops) on the shelf when I picked up my AUX plug for my head unit, at $80 (dealer cost) for the coils and having 100k miles on mine... I couldn’t pass them up. Of course mine hadn’t failed, no issues no codes, but I figured I’d keep those as backups since I’m an over the road guy.

Being for the X5 4.4i (I’m sure they fit other 4.4s as well) I assumed they would be plug and play so to speak, in fact they are, I just can’t seem to get them to seat and snap on to the plug for some insane reason... Suckers are a spot on match to the stock coil, with the exception of a higher winding count, but for the life of me won’t seat.

Keep in mind I’ve had the entire front of this engine off, water pump, vanos out and cleaned, full cooling system overhaul, valve covers, left and right upper timing covers, you name it, I’ve even pulled the mech and replaced the bridge seal and 4 pickup tubes... but for the life of me I can’t get those blasted coils to seat.

I have to be missing something terribly obvious... though I’ve had no problem at all reseating the original coils, I assumed it was because the original boots HD already been “stretched out”... go figure maybe I’m just not a coil guy LoL...

2005 X5 4.4i (04/05 build date)
Titanium Silver w/Black Interior

Sponsored Links