View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 PM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
I didn't have X5 on my radar when picking my car almost 4 years ago.

It was specifically NOT on the Edmund's list of most reliable used cars however the ones on the list were way out of my budget.

Driving through the lot of cars about to be auctioned there were two lowly X5s. One was a 2005 or so and one was the 2001 I bought.

I braced myself with a mindset of ready to spend an extra $1000 fixing wherever was making the check engine light illuminated and though a bit of a bidding war cost me an extra $800, I've been averaging about $50/mo on repair but make no mistake the first requirement of owning one of these is either willingness and ability to diy repair or being very wealthy (which sort of contradicts owning a very old car).

When you are willing to look for good deals and take some logical trade offs on OEM or knock off parts where it's not mission critical, you can get very reasonable prices, also there are plenty of parts that can be fixed vs. replaced for example, 50¢ for an o-ring vs $130 for a fuel level unit.

Or: $6 for a motor for locking your door vs $230 to replace your entire door actuator!

So yes, it's very silly to think that a 20 yr old car off any brand will be an easy or inexpensive choice. There is good reason for any thing to have a 90/95% depreciation!

Sponsored Links