View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 11:58 AM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Sure. I don't really understand why he was doing what he was trying to do.

But on my GM AT on my 3.0i (not a ZF, so many things are different), I can put in more ATF than would normally be there (if filled and leveled per spec) by simply jacking up the rear end of the truck, and even easier due to my sloping driveway.

The fill plug on the GM AT is at the rear, on the left side, so jacking up the rear means I can put more ATF in there than should be. I don't know where the fill plug is on the ZF AT's, but unless it is dead center (at the centroid) of the pan, jacking one way or another should enable this method.

I've done that trick, temporarily adding just a little extra, to simplify when it comes time to do the correct procedure.

The specified procedure (similar, I think for both ZF and GM, other than the mechanicals and fluid) requires a pretty low temperature - a range of 30-50*C, following having cycled the shift selector through all the PRND options, AC on, idling in Park, vehicle level. Then you're supposed to pump in enough new ATF until the fill hole overflows. With all that needs to be done, and the temp rising quickly, the low temp spec is tough to meet by the time the ATF level is actually set.

So after overfilling slightly the day before ... the next day, after things have cooled down, I can follow the correct procedure and temp is very quickly above 30*C, and I can just remove the already loosened filler plug to get the level set correctly. No time wasted fumbling with a pump or swearing.

Sponsored Links