View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 AM

SPL15 is on a distinguished road
Get a Motive branded power bleeder to flush & properly bleed the brake system... Makes it an easy, one person job without the potential risk of causing seal damage to your master cylinder... & it actually does a good job at bleeding the brakes, unlike pressing the pedal...

DO NOT get the ECS Tuning branded power bleeder, as the fricken top does not unscrew, so you can not clean out the tank & pump assembly properly... Stupidest design I've ever seen, I cuss every time I use it when changing differential fluid... Have been tempted to just throw it in the trash due to how pissed off I get that I can't take the stupid top off, because they glued the threads...

To get ALL the old fluid out, you really should cycle the ABS pump. The Foxwell NT520 Pro w/ BMW software on it can do this & more. Can be found for around $150. I've always had good results bleeding brakes just pressure bleeding the system; however, I've gotten AWESOME results by cycling the ABS pump, where the result is a pedal that feels like it's on a brand new car.

I always recommend against having someone press on the brake pedal to bleed the brakes. If you don't time things right, & know what it is that you're trying to achieve, you'll just introduce air into the brake caliper. When the person pressing on the brake pedal inevitably stomps the pedal all the way to the floor, you're asking for master cylinder damage... When the pedal goes to the floor suddenly, they'll also pump the brakes which will introduce air into the system...

Using a pressure bleeder, I find it get more bubbles out if I tap on the caliper with a rubber mallet. Also, air will get sucked into the bleed ports via the threads if you loosen them too much, where you'll see a constant stream of bubbles & think your caliper is full of air... Crack open the bleed ports just enough to get a decent stream, tap with a rubber mallet, close the bleed port before you run out of pressure from the power bleeder. Also, use a clear tube to put on the bleed port nipple, as it makes seeing fine bubbles much easier; however, don't use a really long piece of hose, as this increases the suction on the bleed nipple that can draw air in via the threads & make it appear you have air in the calipers.

Last edited by SPL15; 05-10-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Sponsored Links