View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 PM

X5M-ISH is on a distinguished road
I drove an e39 540i M-Sport with the six-speed manual and legit GF VIN code (only around 1000 imported to North America for the one-off year of 2003). Recently I picked up a 2006 4.8is. Aside from the obvious difference in the transmissions, the overall feel of these two respective vehicles are very close.

For how much this thing weighs, I am impressed at how capable it is with cornering and acceleration (especially in sport mode). The brakes leave a bit to desire. Driving position is taking me a bit to get used to with these comfort seats as all my prior BMW’s have had sport seats but this is moreso a personal issue and not a blight on fuction or design.

The engine bay has tons of room. Getting in there is easy compared to my e39. The front cabin area has much more room but eh, ones a car ones a truck. Rear cabin room is about the same. The cabin layout is very close to the e39 and aside from a few options my M Sport didn’t have, familiarity is there. Same ol’ tape deck, folding nav screen, dsp; all the same.

Visibility is enhanced because your driving position is elevated higher from the road surface and your FOV is better while blind spots are reduced. The park sensors are a great option and I am glad BMW put the passenger side tilt mirror in this model. The 4.8is is a big vehicle but since you’re coming from an e39, you will be fine.

Sponsored Links