View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM

omodos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
Sometimes you go and find the problem. Sometimes you sit back and let the problem find you. This might be something in the latter category.

But hey, something completely different that should be easy to check ...

Sometimes the steering wheel gets a little loose on these cars due to a problem at the double u-joint in the steering column.

With the car parked and off, can you feel any loose wiggle in the steering wheel?

When I first got my '01 3.0i, it had about 2 cm of left-right wiggle like that. For me, it turned out to be a simple matter of loosening, recentering, and torquing/threadlocking the set screws that hold the double-u-joint assembly to the column. That assembly is visible with not too much effort on the 3.0i, looking down in the engine bay. Once tightened properly, it should be perfectly tight, with no slop.
When you say left right you don't mean of course that the steering wheel went from left to right do you? but you were just able to wiggle steering wheel on axis of steering column as such by 2 cm while car off and steering unlocked? darn mechanic just called him up querying the slight slack, and he said there is no way to remove this slack.....so am starting to fume a bit now

Sponsored Links