View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Brake_L8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Don't even bother without pressure bleeder. Waste of time. Easy with the right tool.
Oh yeah, we'll use the right stuff. This is my other BMW - "do it once, do it right" is how you work on these :

Got home tonight and borrowed a friend's Schwaben scan tool. Lots to look at on there! I think I narrowed things down a bit.

Trifecta Lights:
These self-clear upon shutdown and stay off when you re-start. They illuminate after rolling the car forward a few feet. Scan tool says "DSC: Inlet valve, front right" which I assume is a wheel speed sensor.

I checked the brake fluid and the reservoir is full. Wiring looks good, too.

Transmission Light:
This never clears, even if you tell the scan tool to erase everything. The code is "EGS: CAN torque interface." Again, it drives and shifts fine although some shifts are firm and others are more mild.

Service Engine Soon:
Many codes! I cleared them, the light went out, and came back on re-start. The two that seem pertinent are "DME: Signal, mass airflow sensor" and "DME: Oxygen sensor voltage before cat, bank 2."

There were a few other codes related to EWS and tank ventilation solenoid activation. I'll have to check and see what is re-set now that I cleared it. Only drove it a few blocks after clearing.

Instrument Cluster:
Still thinking ignition switch is to blame for this. I read that one test was to see if the driver's sunvisor light works, and mine does come on with the visor mirror cover being moved. BUT... in my testing today, I noticed that the fog light indicator appeared briefly as I bumped the key (fogs work regardless, X5 was running). Ignition switch is relatively cheap and simple to swap.

So, my plan of attack for this Saturday is...
  • Replace O2 sensor
  • Replace FR wheel speed sensor
  • Clean MAF
  • Bleed brakes
  • Oil & filter change
  • Transmission drain & fill (kit from FCP Euro, new filter)
  • Replace ignition switch
  • Clean the everloving funk out of it
'18 Ford F-150 | '97 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | '01 BMW X5 3.0i

Sponsored Links