View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 12:00 AM

Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickGT1 View Post
Without brakes? Then your ball joint is gone.

Confirm is this makes sense.
Does not happen when wet/raining.
Does not happen as soon as you start driving, takes time to present itself.

Anyway, pretty sure it’s your balljoints.
Sorry for the late reply but I finally replaced the ball joints this week.

Here are the results:

1. the steering shudder that accompanies parking lot 3 point maneuvers has virtually disappeared. The steering felt lighter and there's a slight sense of more cushion from the front end, if that makes any sense.

2. If I turn the steering really quickly to reverse heading, I still get the shudder, but it's much less pronounced.

Since this is only the second part of the front suspension component that I've replaced (first being the 2 upper control arms), I think I can improve on the ride/ handling if I continue to replace all other front end components.

My next thought is to prepare for the replacement of both the tension struts and the lower wishbones, or sometimes called the lower forward and rear position control arms?

I think one of them (tension strut?) connects to the ball joints by sharing a 22mm bolt together.

Maybe I should start with this component, since when I was replacing the ball joints today I had to move the control arm out of the way and as I move it I found that the arm was moving freely without much resistance.

Probably not a good sign? Possible worn out bushing inside the tension strut?

What do you guys think?

Posting a link to the 2 sets of lower control arms I'm thinking of buying:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-e534piecekitl

By the way, big thanks to you guys for posting your experiences here. I finally gathered up enough will and courage, bought all the parts, including the jack stands and the ball joints, lifted up the front of the car and with the help of my friend knocked out both used joints and replaced them with Lemforder parts.

It's only the first day so we'll see if the steering shudder stays away for good!

Sponsored Links