View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Attacking Mid is on a distinguished road
The only vehicle I've re-booted was my son's (ill-fated) Subaru. I did it because it is well-known that Subarus don't like AM axles, and Subie axles are, of course, more expensive.

If your boot fails, then the grease left inside is compromised to some extent from exposure to dirt/dust/moisture, etc. To do the job right entails cleaning out most/all the old grease and replacing it with fresh, clean. That also makes it a fairly time-consuming job. It's important to use the right grease depending on the CV joint style. Rzeppa joints typically have 6 large balls and require a moly-infused high pressure grease. Tripod joints (typically used on the inner joints) require a much thinner grease - usually a polyurea grease. You can buy the specific greases from companies like GKN and some car manufacturers (Honda sells it). I ended up going to a John Deere implement dealer to find the polyurea grease in quantity at a reasonable price.

Having gone through all that hassle on the Subie, I was easily swayed to go the $65 Chinese Advance AP axle route. I had little trouble with the axle swap, though you need a serious impact gun to remove the axle nut. My old OEM axle wasn't making any noises, so I may re-boot it some rainy day and have it on the shelf for the day my Adv AP axle fails. More likely, it'll sit there untouched and I'll buy another $65 axle when the time comes!

AM.
E46 1999 2.8 M52TU 5MT Black with Tan Leather 250K+ miles (Sold, but not forgotten)

Sponsored Links