View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 PM

ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
Hi Ard,
I owe you a meal, an "adult" beverage or BOTH when/if you come to NJ.
I brought the print out from FCPEuro to my Indy.
Told him I was buying the OE kit (as indicated on the FCP page) which included the pan/filter, replacement one time use bolts, and 7 qts of BMW approved trans fluid for the low, low price of $281.92. Then I simply said, "I'd still like you to do the labor" which he estimated at 2 hours at $110 ph.

So from close to $1,000 I ended up at about $500... thanks to your 'splainin!

According to their delivery schedule, I paid the extra $7.99 to have it here by Tues-Wed of next week, since I am on the schedule for Thursday.

One question remains. If you go to YouTube, there is a DIY "How to service a BMW E70 X5 Transmission". In the video, the author also pulls out the mechatronic (sp?) unit out in order to replace the "Bridge Seal". My Indy advised AGAINST removing the mechatronic unit to replace the bridge seal, so I did not order it. Do the bridge seals truly fail and is it worth another hour's worth of labor to apparently get some additional fluid that seemed to seep out when he removed the mechatronic unit?

My offer for drink and food is good for about a year, then you'll have to come to SC when we move next spring.

Thank you again!

ed in sweaty NJ

Having grown up traversing NJ once or twice a week, I try to avoid it now.

Glad it helped.

I didnt do the sleeve on my first ATF change at 60k, but will do it at 120k.

For me, if it were to fail at some point, its a few hours of my own work.
If you are paying, its a bit more painful.

And here is the really tough part- there isnt a code (or symptom) that pops up to say 'the mechatronics sleeve is leaking- change it'. You may get some odd trans behaviours, and you'll be in that weird "I just changed the ATF 3 months ago, maybe redo it and change the sleeve this time?" position....

Lots of folks havent changed it. Id lean towards replacement if it has never been done and you are pushing 75- 100k

Last edited by ard; 07-27-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Sponsored Links