Thread: Alignment
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 03:33 PM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
You must drive like an old woman.......

If she takes city corners at 30 without brakes and 270 off ramps at 40+ than sure.

I wasn't sure just how close I drove to the adhesion limits until I drove a buddy's nearly identical X5 that has all season tires and drifted up the first onramp just driving how I normally drive.

Fwiw, when I lose traction in a corner it's almost always oversteer not understeer. Possibly partly due to the added weight I have in back and the 32/39 pressure but also due to my driving habits I'm sure the front tires are typical higher psi from the friction.

Only on near frictionless surface do I typically see understeer in my X5 but wifes with the non sport suspension I've noticed it's more likely to understeer.

Even on slick like rain surfaces I'm more likely to kick out the back and have DSC kick on and slam the outer front brake to counter the fishtail than push toward the center in the front.

I've never felt any need to tweak the front/back pressure to get a better balance. In the rare case I start to drift it feels like I'm sliding straight sideways.

Now without 500-600# of tools in the back things would be much different.

Oh also I use winter tires year 'round that was the primary difference with my buddy's car that caused his car to oversteer so much where I was nowhere near the cornering force I'm used to every day. Dunlop GrandTrek WT M3. They are run on flat and have stiffer sidewalls and help the handling by being firmer in addition to the Spiderman like grip on the road.

Last edited by andrewwynn; 09-06-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsored Links