Thread: Sunroof
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Moments is on a distinguished road
I once stripped and rebuilt my E53 pano roof, it’s been OK since all of this. From this exercise I learned that there is some adjustment in the carriers - the panels probably attach with six torx at the front and four for the rear glass. The front is unlikely to have a problem with these fittings but the rear may, just go ahead and check the fit (the torque is really low on these screws, they fit with thread locker).
More likely is contamination of the gaskets. I clean and use Autoglym vinyl/rubber care to get these in shape. You can tell if the mechanism is strained if the motion of tilt or slide/close is not very smooth. If the gasket has a problem it will be all along the edge/corner and can prevent the panel carrying the glass from seating, in my experience.
I also recommend lithium soap for the runners, tracks and cables. I’m sure others may have different views but I find this doesn’t attract dirt, can clean out and does the job. Worth ensuring that the mechanism is as free as can be.
My E53 roof is super smooth in operation but needs gasket cleaning and soap every year at the most. My F15 is too new to comment but I’ve treated it this same way in the summer as preventive maintenance.

Sponsored Links