View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 06:53 PM

upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenorm54 View Post
Greetings all
My son’s 2003 X5 3.0i E53 has oil leak 9 month ago I looked at it and found the leaks coming from the seal between the oil pan and the front differential shaft. Dropped the front end and installed all news shafts and seals and did the Oil pan gasket too. Soon after the leak came back same location I contacted the vendor thinking something to do with the shaft and in return they sent me two new shafts (L&R) with new seals.
I did not trust the seals so I got new from the dealer. Again took the front end down and replaced everything again new. Two month later he noticed oil leaks again but massive this time and he kept checking engine, transmission brake etc for any evidence of missing oil but found none
Got the car from him and took the shield down and found the leak coming from the same location for the third time.
I checked the seals they were installed correctly and had no Cracks or sign of tear Do you think I need to replace the oil pan now? Any input will be appreciated and god bless

Did you check to make sure the tension spring on the back side of the seal didn't come out when you were installing the seal? OE BMW seal come with a plastic adapter that prevent the spring from coming off when you go to install the seal once the seal is install the adapter is removed. Non OE seal don't have this special adapter. You can fill the back of the seal where the spring is located with axle or wheel bearing grease. This will in most case prevent that spring from coming off. When you go back to do this check the back of the seal or if you have the oil seal check it to see if the spring is still there.

Hope this help
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD