View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:12 AM

AussieXer is on a distinguished road
The symptoms that led me to experiment with the Vanos solenoids are documented in detail elsewhere but to summarise they were essentially a faltering when accelerating from low revs (eg about 1500), the CEL light coming which occasionally led to limp home mode. Rough idling was not really an issue at Australian temperatures (mostly between 10 and 20 degrees C). Accidentally I discovered that if I disconnected the inlet solenoid on the right hand side the car ran a lot better and did not falter. My local mechanic took the valve covers off the car and found that there was significant pitting on the eccentric shaft on right. He suggested that the reason that the car ran better with solenoid disconnected was that it essentially disabled the valvetronic system.
Currently the car starts well idles initially at about 1000 rpm then slows as you would expect and then for about 30 seconds runs roughly and then suddenly picks up and runs really smoothly from then on. I have been running the car like this for about 12 months and have even used it to pull a caravan for about 4000 kms on holiday. I have read other reports of owners disconnecting Vanos solenoids to correct running faults. Still thinking about replacing eccentric shafts but they are pretty pricey and I am not sure what I will gain.

Sponsored Links