View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 PM

TriX5 is on a distinguished road
At last, its back where it belongs.

These last few weeks have been productive despite a quick trip to RI on Fri/Sat. College tours for my youngest. Another 1000 miles on my Gen-1 Tundra....

This morning I put the new lower control arms on, after last week completing the engine and joining it with the transmission (new flex disk went in at the same time). Putting the lower timing cover on is not a funny job and I recommend buying a 12" (thin) joint compound knife to keep the gasket down whilst sliding the cover in place. Otherwise it tends to come up when trying to put the cover in place, you have to slide it on to the front of the crankshaft whilst moving toward the engine.....

Also I found it necessary to line up the fly wheel with the torque converter so that you can put at least one bolt in before turning the engine for the second bolt. With a paint marker I marked the vibration damper on the top when I put the first bolt in and turned 90 degrees using the mark for each successive bolt which made it simple to line things up. Torquing up the new jesus-bolt (holding the vibration damper hub) was easier than expected with the 3/4" socket and breaker I purchased to undo it.

I put new inner boots on the axles (the Rein kits come with the wrong grease, pick up some inner CV joint grease from your closest Honda dealer) and filled the front diff with fresh gear oil. Also put about 6 or 7 liters of engine oil. Latter was good as I had not torqued the banjo bolt from the separator enough and it had a very small leak which materialized in the two days I was on the road.

I changed the coolant hoses behind the engine, these being the heating circuit, which are hard to get to with the engine in place.

So today I wheeled the engine back under the car, a bit of a tight fit to get it in between the flanges of the frame rails....now the engine is back in with the 6 bolts holding the sub-frame and a further 6 holding the rear transmission mount. Still need to attach the rear drive shaft properly.

Tomorrow I need to torque the bolts, put the A/C compressor on, put the steering knuckle in place, put the brakes and wheels back. Then reassemble the oil filter, coolant tank, etc. Worst will be tracing the wring back. Then comes the radiator and hoses, setting the fuel rail back on the engine. Then finally it should be ready for adding fresh fuel and (only a 1/4 tank in it now), firing it up.... I suspect that startup will be towards end of the week. (I have to do a few chores on the other vehicles including a new exhaust for the Gen-1 Tundra which has two holes and is developing a deep baritone)
Attached Images

Sold but not forgotten:
2009 E70 35d, black ext./black int./black headliner (sold 2021)
2006 4.8iS Le Mans blue/cream int./black headliner, SOLD in 2012 sadly...

Other hardware:
2015 Cayenne S (wife's new DD and definitely wroooommmmm)
2016 Tundra 1794 edition crew cab, luxo hauler
2005 Tundra crew cab, weekend hauler. Sold after 150k very happy miles.

Sponsored Links