View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM

Abadv8 is on a distinguished road
50i Transfer Case?

I've got a few questions about the transfer case used on the E70 50i (this is actually for an E71 50i, but I assume the driveline is the same).

After reading through a ton of threads, watching videos about, and digging through all the tech info I can get my hands on, I am still unsure what exactly the issue is with the driveline. What I initially thought was a CV joint or U-joint, is not. It started out with fairly mild symptoms, and what felt like a misfire at low speeds. Then I noticed a bit of "crabbing" (like driving with 4WD locked in) when making sharp turns at low speeds. The jerkiness of the driveline is progressively getting worse, even going in a straight line.

I bought a Foxwell NT530 to try resetting the transfer case adaption, but I cannot reset this car with that tool. That's a whole separate, dissatisfying story. However, I was able to run an active test on the VTG actuator as well as read live data about the clutch position while driving. The actuator or servo motor test fails after two or three seconds, and the current angle never moves from 18.4 degrees. So, my gut feel is that the actuator is missing a few teeth, as others have experienced before.

My questions are:

1. Do these symptoms and experiences sound like an actuator failure?
2. Which transfer case and actuator does the 2011 50i use?
- It looks like there are three possible transfer cases...
3. Has anyone had luck with the Foxwell NT530 for resetting transfer case adaptions?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links