View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Best4x4xFAR is on a distinguished road
You know, for such a finely engineered vehicle, this crap is really unacceptable. I drove an e53 200,000+ miles, and never had issues with the hatch creaking/rattling, what is so different about the closure mechanism that has amounted to such a design fail??

I can't get this thing to consistently stop rattling for anything. And it is far worse when its cold out. I know the upper adjusters have not 'lowered' as they are currently shimmed, so they cannot.

I've wrapped the latch bars with fabric tape, on both sides of the lower tailgate catch and the upper center catch. I've adjusted the body side latch bars for the tailgate, but honestly it doesn't seem to make much difference, even when getting them so tight you really have to 'slam it' to shut it (so I back them off, no sense in overly compressing the weatherstripping when it is not making any difference).

I've even considered 'lubricating' the upper hatch stops/adjuster blocks to see if that makes a different, but haven't, since it would be such a bloody mess, and would likely end up on my wife's cloths or something else of hers that she would not be happy about..

There are threads all over different boards, but it seems like this is just a design flaw..

Anyone been able to permanently resolve this?

--------------------
Black Sapphire Metallic/Sand Beige '13 E70 35d, SP, NAV, Tech, Comfort Access/Seats
20" Style 214's Wrapped in Continental DWS06 Extreme Contacts

(SOLD) Alpine White/Sand Beige '06 E53 3.0, SP, PP, CC, RC, NAV, Sat Radio
19" Style 63's
Wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports-- Summer Shoes
18" Style 131's Wrapped in 255/55-18 Nokian WRG2 SUV's -- Winter Boots

Last edited by Best4x4xFAR; 02-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Sponsored Links